With the conclusion of Battlestar Galactica just a week away (we're almost there!) I thought I would publish a little food for thought among the converted. If you don't watch the show, or aren't caught up, move along - we're about to go deep into nerdsville.
The following list was compiled months ago by my brilliant friend Michael Lapointe, who joins my sister and I for a weekly BSG fix when it's on air. (When it wasn't - and that was a hell of a wait, people - we've killed time with Firefly and the entire 1978 series. One more delay in season 4b and we'd have resorted to the dreaded Galactica 1980... yes, Mike even owns that.)
If you understand half of these questions, or even read half of them, you have my sympathies (and may be the fifth cylon. Or Ron Moore.)
Spoiler alert is screaming, blinking madly and belching smoke.
Battlestar Galacticaâ€™s Unanswered Questions
- What exactly is the ontological status of Number Six in Baltarâ€™s head, vice-versa, and of the Baltar Gaius encounters in Season 4?
- What exactly is the Cylon plan? Does it change? How?
- How has Saul Tigh been a â€œskin-jobâ€ Cylon for at least 30-40 years?
- What is special or unique about the Final Five? Are they â€œsleeperâ€ agents?
- Who/what is the Cylon God? Is it actually their â€œhuman creatorâ€ reified to godhead?
- What exactly is Kara Thraceâ€™s destiny that Leoben refers to?
- How did Kara return? Why is her Viper brand new?
- When exactly did the 13th tribe leave Kobol for Earth? When did the other 12 tribes leave? There is contradictory evidence throughout the series. Elosha claims that 3600 years ago the oracle Pythia wrote about the exile/rebirth of the human race. Billy claims that the city ruins on Kobol were abandoned 2000 years ago, then Elosha claims that this is the time the 13 tribes left. Sharon claims that the founders of the 13 colonies boarded the great ship in the Galleon Meadow and went to found the colonies, OR that they stayed behind and went to sacrifice people in the Tomb of Athena. Adama mentions that Zeus warned the 12 tribes of the blood price to be paid if they returned to Kobol; does this imply the 13th tribe had already left? Does this also imply that civilization continued on Kobol for centuries after the exodus? This would contradict Elosha and Boomerâ€™s statements above. Why does Athena commit suicide at the exodus of the 13 tribes according to Boomer? Billy mentions a calamity befell Kobol and Elosha quotes scripture that a â€œgreat blazeâ€ pursed the people. But Pythia also supposedly chronicled the original journey of the 13th tribe to Earth (complete with drawings of the Temple of Aurora from â€œRevelationsâ€). Dr. Cottleâ€™s report on the virus that kills the Cylons and found on the beacon left by the 13th tribe was over 3000 years old, when according now to Adama, the 13th tribe left Kobol. On the Algae planet, the Temple of Five, built by the 13th tribe, was at least 4000 years ago which lines up with the exodus of the 13th tribe according to Tyrol. The supernova in the Ionian Nebula occurred 4000 years ago and was witnessed by the 13th tribe on the Algae planet. The Eye of Jupiterâ€”a marker left by the 13th tribe to point the way to earth is recorded in their scriptures. So the 13th tribe may have left Kobol at least 2000, 3000, 3600, or 4000 years ago depending upon which scene you watch. Is this intentional, OR simply a very poor attempt at story continuity? Considering the importance of mythology and the cycles of time to the showâ€™s narrative, this is not an insignificant matter. Also how is it possible that scriptures have details about Earth without members of the 13th tribe making contact with their fellow humans AFTER Earth is settled, not to mention the map of the star patterns found in the Tomb of Athena?
- What exactly is Baltarâ€™s destiny that Six keeps referring to?
- What is extra special about Final Fifth Cylon? Why the last to be revealed? Why is this fifth Cylon seeking redemption according to the hybrid in Razor?
- Why does the Razor hybrid warn that Kara Thrace is â€œthe angel of deathâ€ and will lead humanity to its final end? OR is it Karaâ€™s part in leading to the destruction of the Resurrection Hub that brings â€œdeathâ€ to the Cylons that he is predicting and fears? The hybrid on the base ship that kidnaps Roslin also reports this line about Kara.
- Why is it forbidden for the Cylons to talk about the Final Five?
- What is the significance of the dream vision of Hera and Kobolâ€™s Opera House shared by Roslin, Six, and Sharon?
- What is the significance ultimately of the clash between mono- and polytheism in the series?
- Beyond the obvious, what role does Hera have yet to play? What about Nicky? Sixâ€™s baby by Saul on the way?
- What happened to Earth? What year/timeframe is it?
- What exactly happened on Kobol?
- Who/what were the gods/Lords of Kobol?
- What happened to Boxey?
- Are all Cylons super strong physically compared to humans?
- What were the mysterious circumstances surrounding Ellen Tighâ€™s rescue and amnesia? What, if anything, was she hiding? Why does Six warn Baltar about Ellen?
- What happened to the 1300 people on the Olympic Carrier before its destruction?
- Is Baltar capable of â€œprojectingâ€ without being a Cylon?
- On Caprica, why are some of the cities not destroyed as Helo and Sharon wander around? Were these places spared nuclear destruction in favour of biological and neutron weapons? Since the Cylons, for a time, are rebuilding the infrastructure on Caprica, does this mean their ultimate plan is to recolonize the 12 worlds for themselves?
- Where did Shelley Godfrey (Number Six) go?
- Why is Leoben obsessed with Kara?
- Why does Baltarâ€™s Cylon detector not catch Tyrol and Tigh? Or does he suppress this information? Although he seems ignorant of other Cylons, except Boomer, he blackmails her into revealing that there were 8 other Cylons in the fleet? Should we presume the 8 others do NOT include the Final Five? Who are they? Is she lying?
- Can a Final Five be tested by the detector in any case?
- Why and how have the Final Five been to Earth?
- Does Baltar give up testing everyone?
- Why does Leoben tell Roslin that â€œAdamaâ€ is a Cylon in â€œFlesh and Bloodâ€? Could this be Lee? Zak?
- Why are their 12 snakes, â€œvipersâ€, in Roslinâ€™s vision similar to the oneâ€™s recorded by the oracle Pythia? What is their significance?
- What exactly does â€œall this has happened before, and will happen againâ€ mean?
- Â Why is the ephemeral Six assisting in the survival of Baltar and the human fleet?
- Does Baltar believe Six about the Cylon God? Faking it in season 4? If not, what causes this shift?
- Is there any importance to the Articles of Colonization being only 52 years old in â€œ Colonial Dayâ€?
- Did Zarek, Ellen, or someone else have henchman Valance killed on Cloud Nine?
- Why does Baltar â€œknowâ€ the ruins of the Opera House on Kobol? Why does Six say, â€œOf course, you do?â€
- How is it that Baltar has/shares a vision of the future with Sixâ€”the birth of Hera?
- What is the significance of the piano composition by Karaâ€™s father? Why is it so similar to the music score in scenes of Cylon base ships?
- What degree is Kara playing at madness in Season 4?
- Why does Ellen want Tigh to be Commander so much? Power? But if sheâ€™s a Cylon?
- What is Anders, one of the Final Five, doing left behind on Caprica?
- Â In â€œThe Farmâ€, how does Simon know that Anders is an athlete and a member of the resistance?
- Where did the Cylons go after Cavil announces that they have left the nuked colonies? Cylon home world? Where are the â€œgreener pasturesâ€ that he refers to? What are the â€œother plansâ€ that he refers to? Is this a change in the Cylon â€œplanâ€?
- What portion of Cylon civilization pursues the Galactica and the fleet across space? Surely, not all if they have their own home world?
- Even though in â€œThe Hubâ€ it is made clear that no Cylons anywhere in the universe can download, doe this make sense? Would the Cylons not have this technology on their home world and elsewhere back in the regions of space where the story began?
- How did the Colonials â€œenslaveâ€ the Cylons exactly?
- In â€œRazorâ€, how is it that the young Adama hears the hybridâ€™s disembodied voice and sees visions of the past when he sticks his hand into the hybrid tank?
- Who were the prisoners aboard the Gemenese ship, the Diana, in â€œRazorâ€ and what was their fate?
- Is the promised land really Earth? OR is it just a beginning to elsewhere? Why does the hybrid in Razor use the phrase â€œgathered on the wings of an angelâ€ to refer to both/either or the Colonials/Cylons?
- What is the link between the hybrids and the Final Five? Why does the hybrid in Razor know/prophesy so much about the characters? How does he know that Kendra Shaw seeks forgiveness for her part in a military massacre?
- Is the Razor hybrid, the Cylon god?
- Why is Leoben chosen or self-appointed to show Kara her destiny?
- Who is Apolloâ€™s XO on Pegasus after Kendra Shaw dies but before Dualla takes over during their year long stint in orbit around New Caprica?
- Why do the Cylons want Earth to be their new home?
- Why do the Colonials presume that the deadly virus would wipe out all Cylons through Resurrection technology when it has been established that the Cylons need to have Resurrection ships in the first place because they are too far away from the Cylon home world to download?
- Where does a valuable viper Jock like Bulldog go, never to be seen again?
- What was the mandala-like storm? Does Kara only see it?
- What happens to Kara in the storm in terms of her visions of her past, her mother, and her exploding Viper?
- What is the symbolism of the mandala, and why does it reoccur in different contexts?
- How is it that Leoben knows so much about Karaâ€™s history?
- Leoben claims that he is not â€œLeobenâ€ in â€œMaelstromâ€. Who/what is he?
- Does Admiral Adama know about Apollo and Starbuckâ€™s affair?
- Why is Romo Lampkin a kleptomaniac?
- What is the source of the songâ€”â€œAll Along the Watchtowerâ€â€”in â€œCrossroads I and IIâ€? Why is this music a trigger? Why does this occur at the Ionian Nebula?
- Why is Baltar a religious cult figure in the fleet in the first place? What did he do to inspire this devotion as his manifesto is socio-political in nature? Does Baltar believe his religious B.S.? What point does he get sucked in?
- When Roslin mentions in court that she was saved by the blood of a Cylon hybrid child, is this news to the fleet that such a birth has occurred?
- What causes the power outage throughout the fleet at the Ionian Nebula?
- Why are the Final Four so clueless about themselves in spite of their importance?
- If Kara has been to Earth, why is she so vague on the details? Did she not notice that it had been destroyed? Any Earth transmissions to note while in orbit? How did she know it was Earth? Simply and crudely, by the ancient star patterns from the Kobol map?
- Why does Karaâ€™s head hurt every time the fleet jumps away from the Ionian Nebula?
- Who were the original programmers of the Cylons?
- Why did the original programmers put the Cylons at risk if they sought out the Final Five according to Cavil?
- Why does Kara claim she had been to Earth before, as if she had never left?
- During the Cylon Civil War, did the warring Cylon factions simply transfer to different base ships?
- Do the Cylon model numbers have any importance? Do the 12 models correspond to the 12 Colonies?
Â Â Â Â Â
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 1 Cavil Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Aerilon
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 2 LeobenÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Tauron
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 3 Dâ€™AnnaÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Gemenon
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 4 SimonÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Canceron
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 5 Doral Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Leonis
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 6 Number SixÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Virgon
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 7 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Libran
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 8 SharonÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Scorpia
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 9Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Sagittaron
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 10Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Caprica
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 11Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Aquaria
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 12Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Picon
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Tigh, Tory, Anders, Tyrol
- What will the long-term consequences of giving the Cylon Centurions the gift of reason?
- Does Roslin suspect that Zarek is behind her being blindsided by Leeâ€™s revelation of Classified Order 112?
- Does Tyrol suspect that Tory had something to do with Callyâ€™s death?
- Why does Saul see Ellen when visiting Six? Guilt? Or part of the â€œplanâ€ to impregnate her and produce a new hybrid child? Is Ellen the Fifth?
- Do the Colonial beliefs in the gods of Earthâ€™s classical civilizations open the possibility that humanityâ€™s birthplace is Earth, not Kobol?
- What does Leoben know about what happened to Kara during her two months away? Why is Karaâ€™s part in finding Earth so convoluted? Note: Kara â€œdiesâ€ and disappears into a storm, reappears in the Ionian Nebula two months later claiming to have been to Earth, goes crazy on Galactica, is given the Demetrius to find her road back, finds Leoben in a Heavy Raider, who convinces her to find a damaged Basestar so that Kara can talk to its hybrid. The hybrid intimates to her to unbox Dâ€™Anna, who has seen the faces of the Final Five on the Algae planet in the hope that Final Five will reveal themselves and the route to Earth. Three of them do this unwittingly by means of mysterious music that leads them to Karaâ€™s Viper, which now mysteriously is receiving an emergency locator signal that the Colonials can trace back to Earth.
- Does Leoben â€œguessâ€ that Anders is a Cylon on the Demetrius?
- How is Kara â€œchangedâ€ into someone â€œnewâ€?
- Why does Gaeta lose his leg and sing? Significance?
- What is Godâ€™s plan as stated by Leoben in the Raptor? Is this the same as the Cylonâ€™s plan?
- How does Hera have an obsessive knowledge of Six?
- What is up with Romo Lampkin and his frakking cat in â€œSine Qua Nonâ€? Why does he pull a gun on Lee? Nervous breakdown?
- What is it about the FTL jumps which allow Roslin to see the dead Elosha and the â€œfutureâ€?
- Where is the Fifth Cylon? Dâ€™Anna claims that there are four in the fleet.
- Is Karaâ€™s Viper the source of the music that triggers the Final Fourâ€™s activation and that later on leads Kara to discover the signal? Why was the signal not found earlier?
- Will Kara keep her promise and kill Anders because he is a Cylon?
- Does the emergency locator signal originate on Earth?
Â© Michael Patrick Lapointe, PhD
Â Â Â University of Toronto,
Â Â Â Toronto, Canada
How many do you think will be answered? Comments welcome!